Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Project—Helping the Boy Move to College

Our project this past weekend was to help our boy move back to college.  It wasn’t his first move away yet it still brings a mixed bag of emotions.  I can’t help but reflect on his first day of kindergarten. As a stay at home mom, his sister and I missed him sorely. But we knew he needed to go. I now know that that event was training for this event. Kindergarten just lasted a few hours then I could pick him up and bring him home again. Now its different. He will decide when he wants to come home.  He will be responsible for getting up and going to class, for getting his own homework done, and even for making sure that he has some nourishment. As we traveled up the mountain to his school, I thought about Abraham and Isaac. I cannot imagine the journey up Mount Moriah with a load a firewood and a knife. I thanked God that my test of faith is so small in comparison to Abraham’s.

As we traveled we were listening to a  CD that my husband’s receptionist shared with us on Friday. The music was from various musicals that we have grown to love. We enjoyed listening to several selections from Oklahoma! which is perhaps our family’s favorite musical.  Then we heard Bring Him Home   from Les Miserable.

God on high
Hear my prayer
In my need
You have always been there
He is young
He's afraid
Let him rest
Heaven blessed.
Bring him home
Bring him home
Bring him home.
He's like the son I might have known
If God had granted me a son.
The summers die
One by one
How soon they fly
On and on
And I am old
And will be gone.
Bring him peace
Bring him joy
He is young
He is only a boy
You can take
You can give
Let him be
Let him live
If I die, let me die
Let him live
Bring him home
Bring him home
Bring him home.

I could not have chosen a more appropriate selection! I pray that the Lord will protect his heart and that he will make good decisions and choices. 

My day today has started off with joy.  I received a text this morning at 7:52. “The bell tower here is playing “O what a beautiful morning, O what a beautiful day” from Oklahoma. My reply was “Did you sing for them?” My boy replied,”Well of course."

Picture 5198

I will miss him sorely but my boy will be fine.

                                                           signatureandsidebar003-001-1

Technorati Tags:

No comments: