Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pretty in Pink

I recently hosted a baby shower for my niece who will soon have a baby girl. It was fun putting together a pink party.


Instead of a traditional tablecloth, I used 4 yards of pink minky cloth and tied white bows to the corners. The fabric will be used later in the baby’s nursery.


The centerpiece consisted of fresh flowers, mostly pink and white roses, with the umbrella hanging from the chandelier.I had to explain to some of my family members that the umbrella was for the “shower” and the crystals were “rain drops.”


I fixed one of my niece’s favorite treats, peanut butter Ritz crackers dipped in candy coating. This time I used pink candy melts instead of the usual chocolate.


I was able to find some little “it’s a girl” picks for the mini cupcakes. The pink icing was called Pink Lemonade.


We had pink lemonade for our beverage.


For the door decoration, I put a few small soft toys on a grapevine wreath and added some rosettes made from baby socks. I also added pacifiers to the ends of the tulle bow.


My pink Knock Out tree roses did have a few blooms for additional color at the entry.


We are ready to for the arrival of baby Hannah. We are praying for her health and for an easy delivery in a couple of weeks!


I will be linking to Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Updating and Re-Sizing Built-ins

I recently completed an update to the built-in shelves in our den.  It was quite an undertaking and made a tremendous difference in the appearance of the room.


The lighter paint color made the room so much lighter and brighter.


If you look closely at the after picture on the right, you can see that I also changed the trim work throughout the room from stained wood to white paint. In addition to the color change, I re-sized the built-ins.


These shelves house our television and we wanted to upgrade to a slightly larger TV. Unfortunately, the TV above was the largest size that would fit into the opening. I decided that a larger flat screen model would fit if the shelves were not so deep. They were more that 20 inches deep so there was room to trim them back.


You get a better idea of the depth of the shelves when they are empty. I then began to carefully remove the molding from around the edges. Then I was able to find screws to remove. With a lot a gentle wiggling, the three top units came out.

den bookshelf 4

I carried the top units out to my workshop garage and got to work.

den bookshelf 1

With the unit on its side, I used a square and level to draw a line about 7 inches in from the back. I drew that line on both sides and the top. Then I got out the old circular saw and carefully cut along the lines!!

den bookshelf 2

Next, I carefully pried the thin plywood back off of the part that I cut off and put it on the freshly cut unit. The units were put back in place and I put the screws back in. Now I had a 7 inch gap around the edges to deal with. I used several pieces of molding to clean it up a little. I added a piece of crown molding across the top.


I added another piece of molding at the front edge of the top wall and at the front edge of the walls on the sides.


The molding makes a smooth transition and gives a more professional look.


Now the larger TV can sit on the base and fit in front of the top unit without having to fit in the opening.


These shelves are not particularly styled as they are more functional than decorative but I did pare down a lot of books. We don’t have any books just for looks so they don’t all have pretty white covers or we would never be able to find what we’re looking for!


I have a collection of rabbits and several of my favorites are here.


I’ve had this rabbit tureen for many years.


We are enjoying the fresh look.


I’ll be linking to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch and to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style.