Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dining Room Before and After–ORC Week 6

Hoorah! I made it to the finish line of the six week One Room Challenge. I was able to completely finish the project on time, even though it was just a couple of hours before we were hosting a party for 50 people at our house!

complete dining room 1

To say that I am tickled pink with the results would be an understatement! Let’s review what it looked like before.

dining room before 1

I don’t switch things up very often and after nearly 30 years I have finally tired of this look. The first step, and by far the most tedious and time consuming was removing the old wallpaper.

A considerable amount of time was spent prepping the walls with spackling and a fresh coat of paint before I applied the P Kauffman “Malawi” fabric to the walls for wallpaper.

I used wallpaper paste to apply the fabric to the walls just as I would wallpaper. I painted the walls behind the fabric and below the chair rail with Valspar “Pam’s Lace.”

new chandelier 2

I switched out the brass chandelier for this crystal one and gave the mirror a fresh coat of Liquid Gold.

complete dining room 2

I also made new silk window treatments and covered the chair seats in a beautiful velvet.

chair and window treatment

corner chair after

complete dining room with reflections

fabric covered wall and paint

new chandelier 1

new chandelier 2

window treatment close-up

china cabinet after

view from foyer

This is the view from the foyer that I did last year. You can see that project by clicking here.

complete dining room view from foyer

I am so pleased with the results! I hope you will click over to Calling It Home to the other projects.

I’m also linking to Thoughts of Home on Thursday at Decor to Adore and to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style.

a signature

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Dining Room Update- ORC Week 5

I can see the finish line for this project and I am so excited! I will actually finish on time so you must come back next week for the big reveal! This week I completed the window treatments and recovered the chair seats.

chair and window treatment

I covered the chair seats with a dark pink upholstery velvet fabric. I chose a solid color because I thought that a pattern might be too much with the carved backs of the chairs.

dining room before chair seats

When I bought these chairs about thirty years ago I planned to changed the cream colored chair seats immediately but I never got around to it. Only one seat had a small stain but I have never cared for the color.

window treatment close-up

I happened to find the embroidered silk fabric for the drapes in a sale bin at a local fabric store, Martha's Fabrics, and it was exactly the amount that I needed. I added a small band of dark pink fabric as an accent across the top.

dining room before window treatments

The new drapes are a tremendous improvement over the old ones!

velvet chair seats

If you missed by previous posts about this project you can click here, here, here, and here.  I can’t wait to show you the entire room next week! Be sure to click over to Calling It Home to see the other participants in this six week design project.

I’m also linking to Thoughts of Home of Thursday at Poofing the Pillows. Click the link to see what the other participants have been up to this week.

a signature