Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY Sunburst Mirror

In my last post, I shared about my recent update to our guestroom. Previously, I had a collection of vintage hand painted plates hanging above the headboards but decided that I needed something fresh for the re-do.

mirror 1

Since I was in a hurry and had a goal of finishing the room before Thanksgiving, I decided to make my own sunburst mirrors to go above the headboards.

charger from Pier 1

I purchased a wooden charger at Pier 1 to use for the base.I believe that the cost for each one was $14.99. I did put a quick coat of fresh white paint on it before starting since it had a yellowish tint against my freshly painted walls.

bird clock 1

Next, I trekked down to my local Dollar General store and purchased these cute bird clocks with  glass fronts for $4 each!!! It’s a really cute clock but I actually just needed the glass.

bird clock 2

Next, I flipped it over and removed the screws from around the outside edge. The front popped right off and the glass came right out. Then I used my Looking Glass spray paint and a light spray of water to paint the glass. Next, I glued the mirror back to the original gold frame and then glued the gold frame to the white charger. I did not use the clock mechanism.

diy sunburst 1

The spots on the glass were intentional since I was going for a vintage look.

diy sunburst 6 

I considered going around the carved edges with a little Rub N Buff in gold or silver but decided to leave well enough alone.

diy sunburst 4

Pretty results for about $20 each!

twin beds

I have finally finished cleaning the kitchen from Thanksgiving and am scurrying around getting the halls decked for Christmas all the while promising myself to take time to enjoy the season!

Lydias web cover 

I am also packing orders of Bethlehem Christmas Dinnerware. Visit the website here to see the current specials.

Have a great week!

signatureandsidebar003-001-1

I’ll be sharing with Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style and to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On the Porch. Click on the links to get lots of inspiration!

 

1 comment:

Stacy CUrran said...

What a GREAT idea! Love them :)
Stacy