Thursday, April 14, 2016

Dining Room Update–Week 2

fabric samples close up

Week One of the dining room update involved a tremendous amount of work. Not yet to the fun part but a very necessary part.This is a close-up shot of the fabric samples. I love color and pattern and am very excited to get started.

fabric samples

The photo above shows the current rug and the fabric samples. The wallpaper sample is from the adjoining foyer. The rug will be staying for now but may be changed later.

wallpaper removed from first wall

The frist step was to remove the existing wallpaper. As you can see from the photo above, most of the paper came off pretty quickly and easily. The problem with the wallpaper removal was the seams.  Somewhere along the way in the last 30 years, the seams started to come loose and I used a “Seam Adhesive” for repairs. Pardon all of the silver on the table. I had to empty my china cabinet before I could move it.

wallpaper seams

As you can see in the photo above, there was damage at every seam all the way around the room.

seam damage to wall

When the glue did come off, it pulled off paint and paper from the sheetrock.

wallpaper seam paste #2

In this photo you can see that the seam adhesive is another layer on the wall.

wallpaper seam paste

Removing the glue was quite the task.

wllpaper seam adhesive

If you have a package of this seam adhesive I would suggest that you dispose of it as quickly as possible. If I had to do it again, I would use regular wallpaper paste to repair the seams.

spackle over seams

I had to spackle every seam to repair the damage and then sand them before moving on. It was a lot of work but wall prep is essential for a good quality wall finish. Hopefully I will have some pretty pictures by next week!

I’ll be linking to the One Room Challenge at Calling it Home. Click the link to see lots of one room projects in the works. I’m also linking to Grace at Home at Imparting Grace.

a signature

7 comments:

Vel Criste said...

Aaaahhh! I'm so excited to follow along Pat! I still remember your marvelous job with your foyer/stairway! I just joined in this week, so I'm trying to catch up so desperately!

Connie said...

Bless your heart, next week has to be easier. Your fabric samples are beautiful.

Decor To Adore said...

Pat I adore the direction that your room is headed towards! You did SO much better than I did in my room this week.

I would love for you to share this post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
Good luck in the upcoming week!

Positively Southern said...

I can hardly wait to see what you do next week! I too have had my share of scared walls when wallpaper comes down!!

Richella Parham said...

I LOVE following along with you on these remodels. I think the One Room Challenge is a brilliant idea!

You are a champion for taking on the removal of that wallpaper. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party. I'm featuring you this week!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Totally in love with the colors that you have picked!!

Hugs,Deb

thepaintedapron.com said...

oh my stars Pat, I am so glad I came to visit! I can certainly see why you are tickled pink, your dining room is GORGEOUS! I didn't know you could use fabric on walls, and the one you chose is simply fabulous! The drapes are stunning also, it is a total dream! I am going to start a new Pinterest board called Dream Dining, and this will be my first pin! My dining room hasn't been updated in 26 years, and I have been toying with the idea of updating...you've given me the courage to start! Thank you so much! I love what you did in your foyer too, so attractive!
Jenna