Tuesday, October 15, 2013

How To Make A Lamp From A Vintage Gas Can

The last time I went to the Metrolina Antique Show in Charlotte I saw a lamp made from a vintage gas can and decided to make one since I had the supplies.

Gas Can Lamp

This was a very quick and easy project.

lamp making supplies

The gas can was a flea market find and the shade was one that I had on hand. The lamp kit was purchased at Lowes.

lamp kit

The lamp kit has everything that you need to make a lamp.

hole in the cap

I used my drill to drill a hole in the top but the top was a little softer than I thought it would be and made an odd shaped whole when I tilted the drill. I knew that it would be OK since it would be covered any way.

hole in the bottom

I also drilled a small hole in the bottom for the cord to come out. If you are using a container that you don’t want to drill a hole in the bottom, you can purchase a bottle lamp kit and the wire will not have to go through the inside of the container.

lamp kit attached to cap

I assembled the lamp kit according to the directions and attached it to the cap of the can through the hole that I had drilled.

secured to bottom of cap

I used a nut to secure the lamp kit from the bottom of the gas can cap.

can w wire threaded through holes

I threaded the lamp wire up through the small hole in the bottom of the can and out the top.

screwing the cap back on

Next I threaded the lamp cord up through the lamp assembly and screwed the cap back on the can. Then I followed the directions on the package to attach the wires to the lamp and slipped the cover back on.

gas can lamp close up

This was a quick project for a lamp with character!

a signature

I’ll be linking to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style and to Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings- The Heart of Your Home.

In just a few short weeks Christmas will be here. If you are interested in the Bethlehem Christmas dinnerware that I designed and had produced click the photo link below. I know that I am biased, but I am told all of the time that the photos do not do the dinnerware justice!

tn_Plate8 Wise Men

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Very cool! I like lamps made out of unusual items.

Vel Criste said...

Great project Pat! Love the way your repurposed this beautiful piece!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a charming lamp, I love it! Would love for you to share at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
Blessings,
Cindy

Decor To Adore said...

What a fantastic transformation!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

I love the lamp! Very fun!

Pam

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun is this, love the gas can. Great tutorial too. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Party that will be live this afternoon at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I always wondered how you did that...It looks pretty easy!