This is week 3 of the One Room Challenge in which I will be redecorating my formal dining room and posting updates over the course of 6 weeks. In Week One I shared the “before” pictures. You can see them by clicking here. Last week (week 2) I shared the labor intensive process of stripping the existing wallpaper and repairing the walls. You can see that post by clicking here. This week I feel like I made some progress!
I used the beautiful floral fabric by P Kauffman as wallpaper! After removing the old wallpaper and making needed repairs, I painted a base coat above and below the chair rail in a color that matched the background of the fabric. That way if a seam were to come loose, the wall color would match the fabric. The paint that I used is Pam’s Lace by Valspar. The fabric pattern name is Malawi and the color is Kiwi. I am tickled pink with the results! As with wallpaper, I started in the most incospicuous place. Because the doors to the foyer are always open, I started in the corner behind the door and worked my way around the room.
Because the fabric is 54” wide, it takes half as many strips as the wallpaper. However, I wasn’t able to reach all the way across without moving the ladder so I had to use push pins. The holes from the push pins do not show at all due to the texture of the fabric and the amount of pattern.
I carefully worked my way around the room. I used a paint roller to apply wallpaper paste directly to the wall the hung it using push pins until I had matched the pattern and made any necessary trims.
Once everything was aligned I smoothed it out and removed the pins and then made the final trims at the top and bottom edges. I love it when a plan comes together! I feel like I’m on the downhill side now. I can’t wait to complete this project!
Be sure to click over to Calling It Home to see the other projects.