Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Black Beauty in the Bunk Room

Whoever said that every room needs a touch of black was absolutely correct. I don’t know anything that ups the style factor in any space as quickly as a touch of black. Such was the case with our bunk room at our summer cottage.

bunk cabinet 1

It is hard to get a good photo of this piece because of the size of the room and its location. It was hard to get a shot without the bedposts showing. This piece sits at the foot of the two sets of bunk beds.

IMG_0547

You can read my previous post on the bunk room by clicking here.

bunk cabinet 3

I don’t have a “before” picture of this piece since I started it 2 or 3 years ago but it was just ugly brown fake finish wood when I found it at an antique place. I had plans to use it for another project but decided to go another direction so it ended up here.  Actually, my assistant and I quickly gave it a couple of coats of black satin paint and it has been sitting behind a door with no hardware and dirty glass waiting for me to finish up!  Back in February I ran across the turquoise wrapping paper at TJMaxx while traveling in Philadelphia but I didn’t purchase it because I knew it would be smashed to smitherines by the time I got home. However, after hitting several stores in my area I was able to find it. I knew that was just what this cabinet needed.

bunk cabinet 4

Because I didn’t want to damage the paint on the inside, I had planned to cut foam core and glue the paper to it and just stand the foam core boards in place. However, I discovered that the cost was $21 for the foam core. So, I purchased a piece of very thin luan plywood and cut it to size. I think it cost $7 or $8! Then I used a small household stapler to staple the paper to the plywood. I folded the paper over the edges like wrapping a present and stapled from the back so that the staples don’t show. Then the boards just sit in place.

bunk cabinet detail

I love the faux bamboo details and the solid brass hardware cleaned up very nicely.  The storage baskets are currently holding travel size board games.

lighted bunk cabinet

As a bonus, it even has a light in it!

bunk cabinet 2

I should have finished this project a long time ago but I sure am glad that it is finally checked off my list!

I hope that you are having a wonderful summer!

a signature

I’ll be linking to several parties. Please click the link and see all of the wonderful inspiration!

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

HomeWork Wednesday at Worthing Court

Grace at Home at Imparting Grace

8 comments:

Vel Criste said...

I agree Lydia, this piece is sooo gorgeous! Love the hardware you put on her and of course the perfect paper backing for this space!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a beautiful piece. I love it's bamboo embellishments.

the cape on the corner said...

great idea with the luan, and I've also seen people use poster board, but maybe that wouldn've been to flimsy? love the black and gold hardware!

Calista said...

I really like the patterned paper you used for the inside of the hutch! Another advantage is that you can easily change it up if you're in the mood for something different. I am visiting from Imparting Grace.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Beautiful! I love the paper you used on the back.

Decor To Adore said...

I too love the bamboo accents and the brass pulls are perfect!

Have a wonderfully lovely day!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely kitchen redo. I love the lighter cabinets and by taking out the overhead cabinets on the right makes your kitchen look so much bigger. You have lots of cabinets. I think your tile is very pretty. What a nice kitchen and I know you're enjoying it.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That's a perfect piece for that room!

The room is wonderful, btw!