Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Weathered Wood Tool Caddy

box of pumpkins and gourds 2

One of my favorite things about the Haven bloggers’ conference is getting to try new products. I was so excited to return to my room one day to find three DIY kits from Home Depot. The tool caddy pictured above was one of those treats!

tool caddy kit

I thought the packaging was so cute with the orange mesh tie.

tool kit parts

Each kit contained the pre-cut wood pieces, hardware, and instructions.

assembly of tool caddy

There was a slight problem with my tool caddy. The slot for the bottom piece of lumber did not line up. Let’s take a closer look.

mismatched joint

When I tried to slide in the bottom piece, it left a gap on one side because the slots were not lined up properly. I decided to complete the assembly then I cut a piece of scrap lumber for the bottom and screwed it in from the sides.

assembled tool box

assembled box with plugs

The kit even included plugs for the screw holes. After I finished the assembly, I gave everything a base coat of white paint. Next I applied a dry brush coat of gray paint from my paint stash.Deep mink- gray paint

One of the kits was a wine rack. You can see in the photo below that one part has had the gray paint applied.

wine rack half and half

close up of paint treatment

I had these little silver medallions that came from a belt that was being discarded and decided to use them as embellishments.

silver medallions

I used glue to attach them to the side.

close up of medallions

I used screws from the inside to attach knob feet to the bottom.knob feet

The little button on the side in the photo above was used to cover one of the screws that holds the new bottom in place. I am very pleased with how the projects turned out. box of pumpkins and gourds

box of pumpkins and gourds 3

tool caddy full of pumpkins 1

The tool caddy is a very generous size measuring 18 inches long and 11 inches high.tool caddy full of pumpkins 2

The photo below shows the finished wine rack.finished wine rack

Here is a close look at the finish. It looks very similar to the weather wood finish that is very popular now.wine rack close up

I gifted the wine rack to a friend and kept the tool caddy. I can think of lots of uses for the tool caddy and look forward to using it for many years.

You can click here to see how I updated a tool caddy that my kids built at Home Depot many years ago!

a signature

I will be linking to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style and to Grace at Home at Imparting Grace.

2 comments:

Vel Criste said...

I have to keep that Valspar paint in mind when I want to weather something quickly ! Love what you did to that box!

pam {simple details} said...

Beautiful weathered finish, Pat! It makes such a great centerpiece for your table, too! Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Nest!