Sunday, July 27, 2014

Antique Shopping in Belgium

I was so excited to be able to shop an antique fair in Tongeren, Belgium while visiting Europe in April. Unfortunately there was no shipping service available while we were there so anything that I bought had to fit in my suitcase. Luckily I was able to find a few treasures to bring home.

Delft canister

We loved all of the Delft ware and found this little spice canister to purchase. It is only about five inches tall.

Delft tiles

The man who was selling these vintage tiles tried to make us a good deal for a whole box but they were heavy. Each one is about six inches square and weighs about a half pound. We settled for four that I will mount onto a serving tray.

vintage ice skates

I had seen another pair of vintage ice skates at a street market in Amsterdam but didn’t buy them for 20 Euros. Since this pair was only 10 Euros I decided to get them.

tea caddy

This antique tea caddy was my best find. I have admired them for years but have never been willing to pay the price since I have never seen one in the US for less than $195. When I spotted this one I asked the vendor what the price was. She said 35. Her accent was so heavy I wanted to make sure that I understood her so I was asking “thirty” to make sure she was saying thirty-five. She thought that I was negotiating and answered that yes she would take 30!!! She took thirty Euros! I would have paid much more but didn’t argue. I could not get that thing in my bag fast enough!

tea caddy detail

I love the little feet and the carved detail on the top.

tea caddy interior

Originally this caddy would have had two small lids for the interior compartments but these were missing. Otherwise, it is in excellent shape especially considering that it is well over 100 years old.  I was thrilled with this little treasure!

If you missed my previous post on the Tongeren Antique Fair you can read it by clicking here.

If you missed my other posts on the trip to Europe here are the links:

Biking Through the Flower Fields of Holland

A Visit to Keukenhof Gardens

Touring Amsterdam

Touring Amsterdam Part 2

Touring  Amsterdam Part 3

This is a great you tube video that my daughter made of the trip.

I hope that you have found some treasures this summer!

a signature

I’m linking to Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Pat! I'm visiting from Southern Hospitality. I love your tea caddy! What a find! I hope you'll post pics again once you get it home.
Shelia @ House of Highlands.

Marigene said...

You brought back really nice treasures, especially the tea caddy.
Have a wonderful week.

Pat's Addition said...

That's the best souvenir!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh that tea caddy! What a start the car moment.

I hope you are enjoying the summer.