My daughter and I have finally completed another project using recycled parts from my grandma’s piano. We made an upholstered headboard for my daughter’s bed.
You may have seen the entry table for our summer cottage that I made earlier using some of the parts. You can read about it here.
This is what we started with before disassembling!
My son and I disassembled the entire piano! I think I may be able to get 10 projects out of this one piano!!
This is the part that we used. It is the top front area of the piano where the music sits.
The finish was very old and crackled.
Let’s take a closer look.
We used Citristrip to remove the finish.
We applied a nice thick coat and let it stand for a while to work its magic.
We then cleaned off the gunk to reveal a beautiful wood.
We then applied a quick and light coat of stain followed by a coat of satin finish polyurethane.
We cut legs from 1 x 3’s and attached them with screws. The legs will be painted the same color as the wall. I also cut a piece of 1/4 inch thick plywood to fit the opening and purchased a piece of 2 inch thick foam the same size.
The foam was covered with a piece of linen which was left over from another project and stapled on the back of the plywood.
I marked the back and drilled the holes for the tufting buttons then used a 5 inch long upholstery needle to attach covered buttons for the tufting. I always use floral wire to attach the buttons since I have had the thread to break so many times. The tufting is the most challenging part for me! I then used screws to attach the foam covered plywood from the back to the frame.
The tufting does not show up well in the photos.
You can see from the close-up shots that the wood turned out beautifully.
We were pleased with our efforts and are exciting about using it to update my daughter’s room.
I hope that you are enjoying the last few weeks of winter and are looking forward to spring as much as I am!
I’ll be linking to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style.