Monday, June 25, 2012

Slipcover for a Lampshade

You may have seen this lamp that I am using on my entry table at the summer cottage.
IMG_4452
It did not look like this when I purchased it. I found it in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby. It was a little wobbly. So I carefully removed the felt from the bottom and tightened the nut to correct the wobble. Then I stuck the felt back on. It was a  quick and east fix.
IMG_4432
While the shade was cute, it wasn’t really my style for this setting.
IMG_4430
So I purchased an inexpensive replacement at Garden Ridge.
IMG_4434
I liked the shape but I didn’t like the fabric so I decided to cover it. Because the shape was not conducive to just wrapping the fabric around and gluing it, I sewed a simple slip cover. I used some scraps of linen to cut a piece for each side then I pinned the pieces to the shade.
IMG_4440
In order to get a perfect fit, I did what the Chines tailors do, I hand stitched the side seams first. Then I removed the pins and stitched it on the sewing machine. The photo above is all wrong side out.
IMG_4443
After stitching the sides I tried in on for fit and trimmed the seams and pinned the edges before sewing them.
IMG_4446
The fit was perfect so I just had to flip it right side out and slip it on, no gluing required.
IMG_4449
I am very pleased with the results but I think I’m going to make another one using the silk fabric that I used for the leading edge on the drapes so that I’ll have a pop of color in this spot. Stay tuned for an update!
I hope that you are having a wonderful summer! Mine is VERY busy!
signatureandsidebar003-001-1
I’ll be linking to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch and to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style and to Tips and Tutorials at Stonegable.