Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Street Market in China

I just returned from a 3 week trip to China where I taught English to Chinese students at a summer English camp. I have been to China several times before but this trip was unlike the others. Usually we stay in luxury hotels which are VERY affordable there. This time we stayed in a dormitory for international students at the school which was located in a very typical Chinese neighborhood in Beijing. I was delighted to find a street market outside our window every morning at 6 AM. I am NOT a morning person but I awoke at 4 every morning which was OK because it is daylight there by 4 and by 6 the market was humming. I have seen these types of markets before while riding by in a taxi and I have always wanted the opportunity to stop. I had my chance on this trip. I so enjoyed observing the culture from a different perspective this time.
IMG_4606
The market had more food than any thing but there was also furniture, clothing, shoes, and household items. I thought that the furniture pictured above was very interesting and wondered the price but didn’t dare to ask since there was no way it would fit into my suitcase.
IMG_4602
I absolutely loved this lady’s shopping cart which I believe is a vintage baby stroller! If I could have gotten it in my bag I would have tried to buy it from her. I appreciate unique items with a history and I’m sure this has one!
IMG_4563
This lady was selling a little bit of everything somewhat like a yard sale.
IMG_4541_1
There was more fresh produce. If you look carefully you can see the American, aka yours truly, standing in the street taking it all in.
IMG_4549_1
IMG_4559_1
IMG_4546_1
All of our meals were eaten in the school cafeteria and we enjoyed fresh watermelon every day.
IMG_4548_1
There was also a tailor with a treadle sewing machine……
IMG_4601
You could even get a haircut
IMG_4590
men and women……..
IMG_4592
One of the American college students in our group got a haircut here. He said it was very professional and very reasonably priced at 2RMB which is about 35 cents US! Quite the bargain! I most enjoyed watching the children at play while their parents worked. These boys loved getting the picture taken.
IMG_4586_1
IMG_4555_1
IMG_4581
IMG_4558_1
While I didn’t find a treasure to buy, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience!
signatureandsidebar003-001-1
I’ll be linking to Rhoda’s Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality.

No comments: