Friday, November 25, 2011

Faux Mercury Glass Lamp

In a previous post I shared this faux mercury glass lamp.IMG_2781

When I purchased the lamp at a second hand store it looked like this.

IMG_2120

I think that it held shells at one time but there were no shells when I bought it. I took it home and took it apart. I started by taking off the harp and light socket.

IMG_2121

If you look carefully at the socket, you will see the words “press here”. You press there to remove the cover. Then you unscrew the wires.  I usually mark the screw with the smooth wire with an “S” since one side of lamp wire is smooth and the other side has ridges. It does make a difference! Now that the socket has been removed, I can pull the lamp cord down through the bottom of the lamp to take everything completely apart.

IMG_2122

Next, I gave the globe a good cleaning, inside and out. Then I used a spray bottle with water to spray a light coat inside the globe. I followed this by a thin coat of Looking Glass spray paint.

IMG_2128

I followed with several light coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry before the next. The finish turned out great .

IMG_2126

I really like those dark spots!

IMG_2127

You never know what the finish will look like! It is unique every time. After the paint dried, I reassembled everything. I was very pleased with the outcome.

IMG_2781

signatureandsidebar003-001-1

2 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hello! I have looked and looked for that spray paint but haven't found it yet! I love your lamp you did such a great job on it!
I found you from Northern Nesting bloglist and now I'm you newest follower!
Have a great evening!
Rondell

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

After much searching, I was able to find the looking glass paint at Hobby Lobby. BTW, when I asked at my local hardware store, they had no idea what I was talking about. They did look it up and offered to order a case if I would buy it all!