Monday, September 8, 2014

How To Make Simple Furniture Repairs

When I stumbled across this little drop leaf side table I was immediately drawn to it. The price was $35 and when I showed interest the dealer immediately told me that he could do better on the price. I asked how much better. His reply was $20 and I agreed to buy it.  You wouldn’t believe how many $20 jewels I have rescued! One day I will do a post on them.

drop leaf side table 2

I thought that I would be painting this table and selling it but my plans changed. I decided not to paint it and I decided to keep it for a while. It did need a few simple repairs. 

dovetail drawers

Dovetail joints on the drawers are a sign of good quality workmanship.

flat head screws

Flathead screws tell me that this piece is older rather than a newly made piece which would have phillips screws.

crusty brass casters

The crusty brass casters also indicate that the table is old.

cleaned brass casters

The brass feet and casters cleaned up well with Bar Keeper’s Friend and Wenol metal polish.

loose joint

There were several loose joints that needed attention.

glued and clamped joint

I used wood glue and a clamp to repair the loose rail under the drawer.

excess glued removed

Be sure to wipe of any excess glue after putting on the clamp.

glue in joints

I also put glue in each of the four corner joints. I used wood glue rather than Gorilla glue because Gorilla glue tends to expand as it dries which sometimes causes items to separate rather than come together.

glued joints with ratcheting band clamp

I then used a ratcheting band clamp around all of the corners and wiped off the excess glue.

ratcheting band clamp

This clamp was purchased from Harbor Freight Tools. I also use it to tighten the joints on chairs. It is a very useful tool to have. I usually allow the glue to dry for 24 hours before removing any clamps.

drop leaf side table 1

It turned out to be a nice little side table for books and a drink and it fits well in a rather small spot.

drop leaf side table 2

I am up to my eyeballs in projects now!

Here is a sneak peak!

IMG_0405

Check back soon to see if I have made any progress!

a signature

I’ll be linking to Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll thru Life and to The Scoop at Worthing Court and to Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

A ratcheting what? Just kidding. You do the neatest things!! That fabric is beautiful.

Vel Criste said...

I may not be into furniture repairs yet but I'm glad to know about the glue and knowing how to tell if a piece is truly worth salvageable or not. Thank you Pat, it looks almost new!

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

What a treasure. I don't think I would have known how to repair it, but it was fun hearing about how to. I did not know about gorilla glue. I will file that along with the ratchet. I am glad you did not paint it; at least for the time being. I always cringe a little when I see people slap a coat on some nice pieces that would stand alone on their own. Now to go poke through the rest of your posts.

M.

Pat said...

Pat,
WoW!!!
An amazing table and at an amazing price!!!
Thanks for the tip about Gorilla Glue!
My husband uses this product. Nice to know about possible separations.
He, also, uses the ratcheting band around our chair repairs!
Those fabrics are gorgeous!!!
I'm looking forward to project reveal!
Fondly,
Pat

JoAnne said...

That's a great little table, Pat. Thanks for the tips ~ it seems older tables and chairs always have loose legs so these are great techniques to know!