I am continuing my quest to repurpose many of the parts and wood from my Grandma’s old upright piano. My latest project was a blanket chest. It turned out very well.
I also used the bottom part just above the pedals and the very top of the piano. All three of these large parts come off very easily without breaking down the actual piano.
For the sides of the chest, I actually used one of the sides of the piano and cut the length needed for two sides of the blanket chest.
Because the two big parts were so large and they were not the same size, I did cut them down a little before using wood screws to assemble a simple box. I pre-drilled holes for the screws so that I could use “buttons” to cover the screws. I used a scrap piece of plywood for the bottom.
The photo above is another view of the assembled box.
I added bun feet that I picked up at a thrift store for 50 cents each.
I also purchased a piece of decorative trim to use on the ends.
Slowly taking shape. You can see in the photo below that I added the top using the original screw holes and added the buttons to cover all of the screws.
I did not like the dark crackled finish so I used citrus stripper to take the finish off. Next I added a very light coat of stain to provide a uniform color and added a thin coat of satin polyurethane. The actual building of the chest was very quick and easy. The refinishing was quite an ordeal waiting for the stripper to work and waiting for various coats of material to dry. I think it was worth all of the effort.
The photo below shows the other side which used the bottom part of the piano.
I left the original label on the inside of the top.
I did not take a picture of the inside but I did line it with felt since some of the wood was a little rough.
You may enjoy seeing the other projects I have completed using other parts of the piano. Click on the picture to see the complete post.
I am having a fun and productive summer!
Looking forward to the 4th of July and then the Haven conference!