Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What A Find!!!

Recently, we were driving home from church one Sunday and were almost home when we passed a single pickup truck hosting a parking lot sale. As we whizzed by, I thought that I might have spotted a possible treasure. Like any sane woman would do, I yelled “Put on brakes. Turn around and go back! I need to stop back there for a second!” After some huffing and puffing, the hubby relented and did as instructed.  As we got closer, I could see that it was indeed a treasure. I quickly came up with my maximum bid and tried not to seem to anxious as I got out of the car. It was blazing hot and the people selling were packing things in the truck to get out of the heat. I meandered over to the treasure, glancing at a few other small items on my way. I asked the man how much he was asking for my treasure. He replied “I’ll take $20 for that.” Oh my goodness! $20!!! I wanted to ask “Are you sure you don’t need $45?”  But instead, I calmly asked, “Do you have a tape measure?” FYI …..I keep a tape measure in my everyday purse but so far I haven’t needed one at Sunday School! The man quickly whipped out a tape measure. 38”. I told him that I really needed something 36” but I thought I could make it work and asked the hubby for $20. The hubby handed over the $20 but informed me that the treasure would not fit in his car. I insisted that it would, be conceded that maybe it wouldn’t. I told the man that we would run home and get the big car and be back in 5 minutes. He asked where I lived and said he lived nearby and agreed to deliver it. He decided to stop his loading and follow my home right then. All for $20!!! I LOVE it!
Pic 026
Here it is in its raw state. I wanted to use it on the screened porch and didn’t want to spend a lot of money!
As you can see, it was quite dirty and had some damage to the veneer. It has two drawers and they both operate smoothly.








 Pic 036





This shot is a little fuzzy but you can see how the veneer has come off on the corner of this drawer.














Pic 039


After thoroughly cleaning the piece, I got out my Elmer’s glue and wood clamps. I used toothpicks to carefully get some glue underneath the loose veneer. Then I clamped it down until it dried.







Pic 040


This is a closer shot of the gluing process.














Pic 041


Another shot of the gluing process. All of this gluing and drying took a day. Then I removed the hardware and sprayed it silver and I applied a little black paint to try to antique it a little.






Pic 048





This photo does not do justice to the hardware. It has a great relief on it with a little round pull.








Pic 046



I used a brush to paint it with black satin paint. It only took one coat and turned out great.
















IMG_0607



Here’s the final product in its new home on the porch!  $20!!! I love it when a plan comes together!!!



           signature